Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sitting at the sidebar

Tonight I had a profound musical experience, but it wasn't at the Blue Note or Birdland, it wasn't at the Vanguard or at the Garden. It all took place in the living room of the Homestead, watching a film called, Once.

Film, as in all art, attempts to tell stories, evoke ideas and emotions, and tries to make sense of life. We are particularly interested in love relationships expressed in film, the lonely man meets the lonely woman and in the end, even if they don't find lasting happiness, at least they find each other.

Once is like nothing I've ever seen. It's void of self-consciousness, leaves the meaning of life alone, and lets itself happen. Music is the dialog, the characters are versions of you and me.

I cried at the end because I was relieved that such a film was made, I was touched by the simplicity of the story, moved by the honesty in the music, and because I faced again the only regret I have in my life, that I never learned to play or compose.

I hope you'll listen to this one pretty song from the film, then go out and rent it. At least just once.

3 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Irene and I saw "Once" at the Nick when it first came out. We both loved it! One of those small gems of a movie. It's one I would definetly own. (am I the only person who has no clue what the Homestead is?)

runnerfrog said...

Just bought the DVD after your comments. Will see what's all this about ;-) Have to do something until I take my vacations, so will watch the movie. Will arrive in two to five days.
There are always opportunities to learn to play and compose.

Katie Bowen said...

Coop,"The Homestead" is what I call the apartment I moved out of a year and a half ago, the place where David and Annie still reside. It's a block away.

rf: Wow, I'm flattered that you would buy the DVD after my comment. I feel the pressure...and hope you like it!

Let me know.