Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Angel of Washington Heights

Angelita is from Ecuador and has lived in this area for over 20 years. She has the energy of a child and the heart of a saint. She walks dogs and it takes her hours to make it through her rounds. Not because of her age, but because everyone stops her to get a hug, a kiss, a daily dose of her abundant love. She takes her afternoon break at the corner bodega where she sits inside on a step and enjoys a bottle of Coke. Birdseed and breadcrumbs under trees, and cans of cat food laid out for the neighborhood strays means Angelita is nearby. Whenever I'm sad, I look for her. She's a grandmother to everyone. She tells me I'm beautiful even when I'm not, she tells me to thank God for my child and for living another day. She's a reminder that life is good and that the world is a loving place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this woman and I never knew her name, but on so many occasions we chat or just exchange smiles and hellos... hers is usually "hola, mamita" with a smile, her bright lipstick and a reassuring twinkle in her eye!