Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lisa Gamble

Lisa is one of my dearest friends. We met when I was 11 and stayed in touch on and off for years. At one time she and I were both living in L.A., planning to move to Santa Cruz. We worked and saved money, and spent our evenings at her apartment drinking wine and listening to the album, Blue by Joni Mitchell. We'd lie on the floor for hours and listen to the record over and over again, and with every line that Joni sang, we felt ourselves getting closer to Santa Cruz . Eventually Lisa reconnected with one of our old classmates, married him and stayed in L.A., but I carried out my plans, packed up my VW bug and headed north. Lisa and I remained in contact through the years, but not until 1996 did we find each other again and our friendship took on a new life.

She is warm and witty, has a sharp mind and a wicked sense of humor. She has a deep understanding of people and how imperfect and flawed they are. She never judges so she never has to forgive. My secrets are safe with her and she has saved my life a thousand times.

No comments: