Friday, April 21, 2006

Cowgirl Up


Yesterday I took Annie and her friend to the barn. It was the first time I’d seen my horse since he removed me from his back like a pesky fly. That day that I lay flat on my back in the dirt, when I had yet to feel the pain, I must admit, I actually liked being there. I could see my jeans below me and my cowboy boots saluting the sun. And not far from sight, was my big Palomino, heading toward me to check out the damage.

I was born part city girl and part cowgirl, for what reason, I don’t know. I’ve had many more city girl moments than cowgirl moments, but that day on the ground, I was all cowgirl.

It’s power and nature, skill and competence. It’s spiritual and romantic. It’s an agreement between horse and rider, no matter what happens. It can be image and ego, but if those things are let go, it’s a feeling of connectedness to the deepest part of ones self.

A cowgirl rejects conventional beauty but embraces what is unique to her. Her wide hips help her move when her horse moves, her thighs hold her to the saddle. The weight of her body lets her fearful animal know that someone is there. A cowgirl makes choices every moment. Her mind is alert and her touch is light.

She is who I aspire to be.

Blog resumes Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»