Monday, May 29, 2006

Monday Night

A hot & sunny New York day, food cooking on the stove, blankets loaded into the wagon, all in preparation for a picnic in upper Manhattan. Friends arrive, kids gather toys, beers out of the fridge and we're out the door. Walking to the park the sun disappears, black clouds hover, the distant sound of thunder. It's okay, I say, the clouds will pass. Spread out the blanket, the food is uncovered; I make plates for the kids while the beer is cracked open. In a moment the sun is gone, lightening strikes, thunder roars, the rain pours down and everyone flees. Come on Katie! David calls, drenched, serious and uncomfortable. I tell him to go on ahead. I am soaked to the skin, my face, my feet, my hair, and the rain won’t stop.

Everyone is gone now, already home, the streets are empty. I slow down my pace so that I can be alone, walk alone, in the magical and beautiful and comical rain.

No comments: