Friday, June 30, 2006

Livid Lioness

It seems the letter I wrote to the principal of Annie’s school, the one about kids being weighed in class, never made it past the desk of Annie’s teacher. It appears that Miss Petrausch took it upon herself to open the letter, regardless of the fact that it was sealed and addressed to someone else. Annie says the witch read it, was annoyed by it, and then told Annie that her parents should stay out of such matters.

Yesterday I was in the car on Broadway and 86th Street. I had to pull over and help Annie with her tangled seatbelt, and by the time I proceeded to pull back out onto the street, I noticed a policewoman standing near my car writing a ticket. But the interesting thing was, she wasn’t looking at my car or at me, it was as if she was attempting to hide the fact that she was writing the ticket at all. I rolled down the window and asked, “Are you writing me a ticket?” She looked at me with dead eyes. “Yes,” she said. “Why?” I asked. “Because you’re parked in a bus stop,” she answered. “But I’m IN the car,” I said. “It doesn’t matter,” she said, “You’re in violation of the law.” “I was helping my daughter with her seat belt, why couldn’t you have just told me to pull out?” I asked. “That’s not my job,” she said. My blood started to boil. “You weren’t even going to leave that ticket on my car, were you?” I asked. “You were just going to let me drive off without knowing you wrote it, weren’t you?” She looked at me again with her dead and angry eyes. “You broke the law,” she said as she completed writing the ticket. I put my hand out to her to take it, but she rolled it up, turned away, and put it on the windshield of my car. That sinister bitch wouldn’t even hand me the ticket! After all that, she wanted me to get out of the car and go get it. “You’re a real piece of work! I shouted as she walked away, “A real piece of work!”

I can tolerate a lot, but the two things I cannot turn away from are when someone else is being wronged, and, when what I consider blatant evil is at work.

My father gave me much advice when I was growing up, and one of the things he said was to never trust a politician, a police officer or a schoolteacher. Well Dad, I don’t, and I won’t, and in these two cases the kitten in me will not be called to the stand. No, I’m afraid it’s time to bring out the big cat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

Reverend Shawn said...

Fight the Good Fight ...

Give 'em whatfor ... you've taught that fiestiness to Annie - it won't fail you now ...

peace,

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your posts this morning....just found your blog randomly and had a lot of laughs, as well as heartfelt moments....We just moved back to the Midwest after a year in Brooklyn, it is fun to read about NY...I connected with alot...Keep it up!