Friday, June 23, 2006

Sangam

My one regret is that I didn’t make a life in music, but sometimes, like last night, I'm glad I didn’t. I don’t analyze it, I don’t break it down, I don’t think about technique or style, I just receive it. The truth is, I don’t know shit about music, I only know what it means to me, what it makes me feel, where it takes me. And last night it took me on a mind-blowing trip.

Sangam signifies confluence, a meeting place, a gathering or coming together, literally or metaphorically. Triveni sangam means a three-way junction or meeting of three rivers, which merge and flow as one. And that’s what took place on stage last night between the legendary Charles Lloyd, Indian tabla master Zakir Hussain, and my new favorite drummer, Eric Harland.

Can’t say much more than that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...what I want to know...was luck with you? Did you get "up-front" seats??? Katie, I love your blog. It's the 2nd one I read each morning, after my son, Aaron's of course! ;-) Coop

Katie Bowen said...

First, thank you nice people for such compliments on the blog. So very kind of you, I'm glad you like it.

Coop, here's what happened. When I got down there everyone was already inside. I went to the ticket window but all they had was a ticket in the back. I somehow felt it was going to be worth it, so I bought it. The show was at Zankel Hall at Carnegie, one of a few halls built there in the last few years. I'd never been before and didn't realize how intimate the place actually was. Not small, but somehow constructed in a way that made everything feel close. So yes, I was in the back, but I was in the first tier which was dead center and above the stage. It was actually perfect. I also talked to an artist from Monterey CA who said she sold a Porsche Speedster to Charles Lloyd back in the day. Thanks for checking in with me every morning. Hello to Irene--Love, Katie