Friday, September 22, 2006

You Get What You Need

Annie stands in front of me and playfully shouts at the top of her lungs, "HUG ME!" I give her a perplexed look and do nothing. She pouts, crosses her arms in front of her and shouts again, "HUG ME!" I want to smile but I stand unmoved and then she says sweetly, "You have to learn to be assertive." I laugh, wrap my arms around her and hold her tight. "Why do I need to learn to be assertive?" I ask. And peeking out from inside my arms, she looks up at me with a huge smile on her face and says, "Because then you get what you want."

2 comments:

Reverend Shawn said...

smart girl that Annie ...
she'll go places in this world, especially knowing how to cross streets, riding in cars and so on ... who really needs all the higher education crap when you have family, friends and chutzpah !!

Anonymous said...

that was really cute!