Thursday, October 12, 2006

Early Rise

I woke up this morning and it was, (and still is) pitch dark outside. It's also completely silent at this hour, I'm talking country silent...without the crickets, pretty unusual for most city streets.

I figured it to be about 3:00 a.m. and decided to get up and enjoy a few "bonus" hours to play around the apartment, make a cup of tea, read.

I love the time between late night and early morning, that wonderful space when most everyone else is asleep, when it feels as if the city has stayed open late just for me. So when I finally turned on the light to find it was 5:45, not three, I had a moment of disappointment.

But I don't have to meet Annie until eight, and the two extra hours of precious time is still, at least, a good door prize.

I had my tea, I read my book, and only now do I see a hint of sunlight outside the window.

No comments: