Thursday, February 22, 2007

Checkered Past

My brother Michael has been many things in his life including a delivery truck driver, an actor, and a New York City cabbie. Christopher Walken once got into Mike's cab. "I'm going to 125th Street!" he announced, "And I'm not afraid of speed!" Michael, never missing a beat, replied by slamming his foot on the gas and getting Walken to Harlem in record time.

Many nights my fearless brother would find himself in neighborhoods no man should be in, where his customers would reach their destinations, say that their wallets were upstairs, then offer to leave their shoes in the backseat as collateral.

When I was living in the city for a stint in my early twenties, Mike would phone me in the middle of the night. "Hey Sis!" he'd say, "Come ridin' with your big brother!" I'd stumble out of bed, throw on some clothes and find him outside on 86th Street, sitting behind the wheel with a big smile on his face, honking the horn and holding up a cup of coffee for me.

Mike and I would drive through the belly of the city and we'd drive all through the night. We'd stop for more coffee and make each other laugh, sometimes so hard he'd have to pull over.

It was a brief moment in our history, a slice of our family life, and everyone we picked up along the way seemed perplexed or delighted, but always amused by the New York City Cabbie who made his rounds with his little sister in tow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a little sister to ride in my cab.

http://www.pissedoffcabbie.blogspot.com/

Katie Bowen said...

I'm so sorry you don't.

Is that why you're pissed off?

Love,

Katie

Anonymous said...

Read some of my blog and you'll see why I'm pissed off.

Hey, I once had Gregg Allman sit in with my band. It wasn't no dream.

Katie Bowen said...

And I once french kissed someone with a mouthful of mints. That was a nightmare.

I will check out your blog.

Taxi!

Dina said...

Hey Katie girl,

I find this bit of your life pretty cool. My big brother didn't want to hang out with me too much, but then I grew up and just one day he decided I was ok to hang with. it's such a new york story, I LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

I saw your Gregg Allman dream, that's why I mentioned my gig with him.

I like your blog.

Katie Bowen said...

Dina--I'm happy you enjoyed it, thanks!

Cabbie--I knew why you mentioned Gregg Allman. (The Half Note never misses a beat.)

So glad you like the blog, thank you.

Katie