Thursday, March 29, 2007

It ain't me babe

Even though I've been an editor for many years, when I'm asked a question about editing, a voice in my head says, why are they asking ME this stuff? And when I answer the question correctly, the voice in my head says, how the hell do I KNOW this stuff?

Here's an email I sent someone today after a meeting at a Soho postproduction house.

Dear R,

I did find out a little more about the Final Cut/Avid transfer. Of course you could do the Quicktime export as we talked about, but that would only work if you didn't need to re-edit the footage. In other words, you can't break apart a mixed piece into layers once it's in Quicktime form. There is a way to create an EDL with the Avid assets, but from what I understand, regardless of how you do it, the results are less than perfect. If you can leave the piece as is, if all you want to do is insert additional footage and have no need to change the audio in any way, then the Quicktime would be an easy solution.

Hope that helps.

Katie

5 comments:

Katie Bowen said...

Cut it out Tai! You're so darn Quick all the Time.

Love you to Pieces.

k

Dina said...

WHAT THA? WHAT THA?!!!
I just felt like you just spoke swahelie ( or however you spell it)!!!

your my hero to Katie!

Reverend Shawn said...

Katie ... I have the same kind of voice speaking in my head when I'm asked stuff about Church-ie things ...

I hear in my head: "what the h--- do I know about this??" and suddenly my mouth begins to utter some really profound stuff ...

Ain't it amazing when that happens??

Like Tai and Dina, I can only say - "you rock girl!!" you're awesome !!

Katie Bowen said...

I can also edit multi-cam on an Avid Media Composer with the software in Swahili, a customized Yugoslavian keyboard, all while standing on my head spitting nickels AND reciting Kierkegaard's Authorial Method...backwards!

How do you like THAT?

AMGallegos said...

I've seen her do it!