Monday, April 30, 2007

Cleaning House

Sometimes the best way to get at what's bothering me is to clean my refrigerator. I could talk with a friend, meditate in the park, question why I am the way I am, but often what I really need is to reconnect to my external life. Scrubbing pots and pans is a good way to do it, painting the inside of a closet or the surface of a nightstand. I can add to that mopping the floors and drinking lots of coffee, and if I really mean business, I might just dare to listen to Puccini at full volume. I will weep while painting, grieve while mopping and suffer while scrubbing. Surely then the fire will ignite and blaze, but soon, as do the arias, it will slowly calm and rest. And after there is but the slightest hint of a burning ember, and though I may still have no answers, I will be slightly more connected to myself, I will possess a little more peace, and sometimes that's all you need on a Monday.

2 comments:

shaniqua said...

maybe its a leo thing, but i'm the same way. if i'm mad, frustrated, stressed...i MUST clean. i guess if you are gonna have an outlet for such things, cleaning is a good one to have!

Christina said...

For me it's baking. When I'm unglued I can stay in the kitchen for hours, pounding the crap out of some pizza dough. Well, it makes for some mean pizza.

On the other hand, I always avoided cleaning the refrigerator like the plague. So you are welcome to come visit mine and get at whatever's bothering you, any time you like.

C