Friday, April 20, 2007

In my dreams

Last night I dreamed I was behind the wheel of a car, a convertible. I was with a male companion and Annie was in the backseat. My companion told me that he wanted to drive, that he knew how to take the twists and turns of the road, and how to navigate through the thick fog that would surely come as we got higher into the hills. He said he'd be better able to keep us safe, and better equipped than I to keep his eyes on the road. I got into the backseat and sat behind him, beside Annie.

As we traveled higher and higher up the winding road, the dense fog began to engulf the car, making it impossible to see what was in front of us. I clung to the back of the driver's seat and gasped each time a wave of the fog came upon us, then I decided it would be better if I just closed my eyes. I knew we were not in danger, I knew this man was in complete control, and I understood that the only thing frightening me was not a real threat of danger, but an imagined one.

At some point the man said to Annie, "Look! A hummingbird!" Annie was delighted.

Soon the car came to a stop and we found ourselves sitting on a very narrow path with a barricade in front of us. It was obviously too narrow to make it through. The man kept his hands firmly on the wheel. He didn't look defeated, he simply contemplated our situation.

Suddenly Annie cheerfully called out, "Keep going! We've got to keep the hummingbirds buzzing!"

No comments: