Wednesday, December 19, 2007

In real time

I just returned from standing outside after having been woken up by a man yelling, "fire!" I threw on a sweatshirt, opened my front door and immediately my apartment was engulfed in smoke. My first impulse was to unlock the gate on my fire escape and open the window, then I put on a coat, grabbed my wallet, keys, cellphone and my father's ring and made my way down the smoke-filled front stairs, banging on doors while on the line with 911.

It's still smoky in here and now quite cold, but the blaze in 2D is out, everyone is safe, and the only sound I hear is a woman gently calling for her cat.

7 comments:

Reverend Shawn said...

OHMYGAWD!!!!

I'm glad you're okay ... that sounds just a tad too scary, even for me!!!

Thoughts and prayers my friend ... be well!!!

AMGallegos said...

We get fire alarms a couple times a month in our building. Most of the time from drunk residents passing out while cooking. At 6:00 am, that probably what happened in your case...but then again, I don't know your building.

Katie Bowen said...

Prayers from the minister, some cynicism from my ex, and a slight scolding from my dear friend Tai, who many of you may not know, was once a real life firefighter. (no joke!)

Thanks all.

xoxo,

kb.

CJGallegos said...

Whew! This apartment living is precarious! Cynicism from Aaron? And Aaron, I want to know why a drunk person is cooking at 6:00 AM? (or am I out of touch?) Tai used to be a firefighter? How many lives do you guys squeeze into your lives anyway?

Katie Bowen said...

I think one of the things that connects all of us is that we are committed to squeezing in a whole bunch of lives into our lives. That or, we just can't help it.

Dina said...

Katie glad your okay! hmm fire, cant find cat..does she have dental records of the cat?? I HOPE THE CAT COMES HOME!

Edtime Stories said...

wow, glad you are alright..