Monday, January 14, 2008

Sitting at the sidebar

Last summer I was at a Francis Dunnery concert, he was talking about relationships and at one point looked into the audience of mostly middle-aged people and said, "After 40, you're not in such a rush to move in, are you?" Everyone laughed in agreement.

When I was in my twenties, I would meet a guy and within a week I'd be on the road in his Chevy pick-up, traveling across country and falling in love. A year later I might find myself in Spain, developing a crush on a boy named Julio and we wouldn't have to discuss it, we'd simply start building a life together, at least for a period of time. In my twenties it was all about yes. Yes, yes, yes.

But after being married, after spending my entire adult life living with someone, I love the freedom to come and go as I please, use the brand of dish washing liquid I like, not have to ask where to position the bed. Now I'm not so quick to want to jump back in, give up what's mine, move over and make room for someone else. It's not so easy even for me, the hopeless romantic whose life's mission is to love. But I would do it anyway, gladly, with the right man.

I declare this my love song for 2008, my motto song, my anthem because baby, I've been traveling a long time down a street of nos and I'm gettin' back on a path paved with yes, and just like Keb' Mo', I'm not interested in walking anymore, I'm ready to ride the bus.

No comments: