Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fast cars & bad boys

Santa Cruz California, 1987--my boyfriend Aaron called me from work and asked if I had his car. I assured him I didn't (I had my own), and he assured me that his was not parked outside the restaurant where he left it (India Joze, for those who'll appreciate the reference). Immediately after I hung up the phone, this is what happened:

I had the idea I could find the car, so I grabbed my keys, climbed into my '64 Dodge Dart and started it up. And as I pulled onto the street, just like that, Aaron's Toyota hatchback zipped right past me. With no time to process this most unusual occurrence, I put the pedal to the metal and took off after the little white car. Now here's where I'd like to unleash the part of the story where a wild chase ensued, but in reality it was just me, traveling at average speed, trying to catch a glimpse of the driver who was seemingly unaware I was in hot pursuit.

With no obvious destination, the hijacked car darted in and around side streets, and as I carefully watched the needle on my gas gage approach empty, I continued to follow closely behind. Then suddenly, the mystery driver of my boyfriend's wheels took off, and when it got too fast for me to safely keep up, I pulled over, called 911 and reported the incident. I don't remember what happened next, maybe I went home, but more likely I went straight to the restaurant to tell Aaron my amazing tale.

Two days later, the stolen car was pulled over by police and the thief, a 15-year-old runaway boy, was apprehended. The interior was a mess, the engine shot, and in the back seat was a thick wool blanket, a pack of condoms, and a paperback copy of The Outsiders.

No charges were filed.

3 comments:

AMGallegos said...

My poor car was never the same after that. After some months I ended up selling it to a dishwasher I worked with at the resturant for $90 cash and $10 in food stamps.

CJGallegos said...

Well, what I want to know: What happened to the blanket, the condoms and the Outsider?

AMGallegos said...

Katie, my Mom's trying to trick you into telling her what we did with the condoms. Don't fall for it. Just tell her we sold all the items at the Flea Market.