Friday, May 16, 2008

Playtime 101

Annie comes into the bathroom and sits down while I wash up before bed.

"Here, let me give you a facial," I say, and I prepare a hot washcloth.

"OK.," says Annie. "Let's pretend we're at a salon and I'm your regular client. I always request you, and your name is Lucy."

"Alright," I say as I apply facial cleanser to her cheeks.

"It's so nice to see you again Ms. Kosh, tell me, how's the family?"

Annie looks at me and patiently whispers a gentle reminder: "I'm a widow."

2 comments:

Reverend Shawn said...

There are days I would love to know what is happening in Annie's head ... and there are days the very THOUGHT of what is happening in Annie's head scares the bejesus outta me ...

She truly is "The Annie Kosh Experience" ... and I hope she never changes!!

Tricia Rose said...

In one of the L.M.Montgomery books a girl says she wants to be a widow, because wives are bossed by their husbands and unmarried women are pitied as old maids, but widows can do what they want (no divorce in L.M. Montgomery, but I think widows have the high ground in any case, unless they are active in bringing about their condition).