Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's complicated

Annie: Do you think human beings were meant to be so complicated?

Me: Do you mean "meant to be" as in predestined?

Annie: Yeah.

Me: Well, I think we became more complicated because the world became more complicated.

Annie: Yeah, I mean cave people weren't this way. Did we evolve to become more complicated?

Me: I'm sure we'd understand more if we studied the history of the world, or the history of evolution, or the history of man, or the history of human psychology and emotions, but I do think we were meant to be this way, just by the fact that we are this way, know what I mean?

Annie: No.

Me: I mean, I know I was meant to be your mother... because I am your mother.

Annie: Oh.

Me: Do you think you're complicated?

Annie: I don't know, I know my life is complicated. I know that you're complicated.

Me: You think so?

Annie: Yes, and I think many people would back me up on that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

boy i can't wait till she runs for president! (rw)

Douglas Miller said...

Katie - do you really want an answer to this?

The evolution of the pre-frontal cortex has a lot to answer for!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefrontal_cortex

Katie Bowen said...

Me too, Russ!

Thanks, Doug--now I'm off to make some sense of it all! xox