Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscarvations

I can easily say that once upon a time, I was a movie buff. But for the last several months there’s been such a drama playing out in my life, I've had little need to search for entertainment in places outside my own head.

I didn't see many movies this year, but at the Homestead last night I did see about half of this year’s Academy Award show. Some of it was the same old Hollywood garbage, but some of it I was pleasantly surprised by.

So, whether you like it or not, here are this year’s “Oscarvations” from The Half Note...



“Babel” should have won for Best Editing.

Although I can't sit through any of his films (the violence thing), Martin Scorsese is a genius and long overdue for an Oscar, so I'm glad he won.

Although I think Helen Mirren is a brilliant actress, please see my review of "The Queen" to see why I do not think she should have won for Best Actress.

When I asked a friend if he had taken his son to see “Happy Feet,” his answer to me was, “I didn’t take him to that shit.”

That “Shit” was one of my favorite children’s movies ever. Great music, beautifully animated, intelligent and sweet with an underlying message of love. I was “Happy” it took the award.

Don’t ask me why, but I did see "Dreamgirls," and although it would have made a better Movie of the Week than a feature, Jennifer Hudson was so lovely and I'm glad she won. (I wish I’d seen her speech.)

I have a crush on Ryan Gosling.

I'm not an Eddie Murphy fan, so I’m not sure why I wanted him to win.

I liked Alan Arkin's acceptance speech; modest, and heartfelt.

"Little Miss Sunshine" won for Best Original Screenplay and I loved that movie.

The screenwriter of “Little Miss Sunshine” appeared humble and that was refreshing.

I find it a bit backwards that the rich and famous get stuff for free.

The Al Gore thing (with Leonardo DiCaprio) made me laugh.

When Ellen Degeneres asked Stephen Spielberg to take her picture with Clint Eastwood, I laughed.

When Ellen Degeneres asked Martin Scorsese to read her screenplay, I laughed.

I think Ellen Degeneres should host the Oscars every year. She adds humor and warmth, and somehow humanizes the whole thing.

I liked the Sound Effects Choir.

That’s all.

3 comments:

shaniqua said...

how sad is it that i saw none of the movies that were nominated for anything, except pirates of the carribean, (which won nothing, i think)? i saw the first half i guess of the oscars. i LOVE ellen, and i agree...she should always host.

egdwoman said...

i agree with you about the queen. not memorable, although she was good. and though i thought notes on a scandal was extravagantly bad (camp, over-the-top crap), judi dench was excellent. i also loved penelope cruz in volver. i too love ellen, love her whole vibe, but i didn't see one bit of the oscars!

i also thought jenifer hudson was ab fab in dreamgirls. she's adorable.

see you soon, katie!

Katie Bowen said...

shaniqua-- it was sad...that you didnt see happy feet.

edg-- see you tomorrow for Vietnamese.

xoxox