Friday, June 13, 2008

Easy to read

A few days before my friend Bruce came to visit, I was browsing the shelves in a bookstore. I read the back cover of one book, and although it didn't strike my fancy, I immediately thought it was something Bruce would love. I entertained the idea of buying it for him, but I knew he'd have plenty of reading material when he arrived. I left the book and bought something else for myself.

Days later when Bruce was in my apartment, he said he was bored by what he was reading. I told him about the book I'd seen, the only problem was I couldn't remember its title or author. We drove to the bookstore in hopes I could retrace my steps and locate the book I was so certain he'd want, but after combing the shelves, I came up empty-handed. Just as I ended the search, Bruce approached me.

"I want to show you something," he said, and I followed him to a shelf where he picked up a paperback and handed it to me. "I read this a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it."

I looked at the book and then at him, and a big smile spread across my face.

"You're kidding me," he said.

No comments: